Documentation is vitally important. A picture is worth a thousand words!
- Before documentation, get a release from the fire department prior to reentering the building or dwelling.
- Take pictures of affected areas.
- Make sure you have a rent roll from the day of the incident to refer to in the future.
- Set up an “incident” file that you can track all records, in-house and vendor costs, wages, incident reports, etc.
- Obtain a liability release from resident prior to re-entry into apartment.
- Have employees involved with the incident to document what happened.
- Make copies of all affected resident leases and put with the incident file information.