The following steps should be taken for appropriate media relations when dealing with the media in a crisis situation.
- Whenever possible, direct the media to your supervisor or company media relations person.
- In the absence of a supervisor or Corporate representative, follow these steps:
- Always stay professional
- Remain calm
- Do not say “No Comment”
- Do not speculate; only say what you know is true
- Sample response may include: “We are cooperating with the authorities, our first concern is for the well-being of our residents.
- Sample response may include: “I am sorry, but we don’t have complete information. However, we are working with the authorities to learn more.”