Plan ahead for an extended utility disruption!
Depending on the type of utility disruption, there are various precautions to take to safeguard your home and building during that time.
Precautionary measures to take during an extended power loss:
- You should turn off or unplug unnecessary electrical equipment and/or appliances.
If freezing temperatures are present, complete the following:
- Turn off and drain fire sprinkler system, standpipes, potable water lines, toilets, etc.
- Add propylene-glycol to drains to prevent traps from freezing.
- You should move equipment that has fluids that may freeze to heated areas, or drain them of fluids.
Upon restoration of heat and power:
- You should bring electronic equipment back up to ambient temperatures before energizing to prevent condensation from forming on circuitry.
- Check fire suppression systems and potable water piping for leaks and freeze damage after heat is restored to the building and the water has been turned back on.